Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I have decided to get back into shape. If you have seen me around recently, you probably wouldn't say that I am a very large person or anything, but I just feel out of shape. Take yesterday morning for example...

I have been trying to wake up earlier for a few reasons. The first reason is that I want to be able to spend more time with my wife, and she wakes up fairly early. Another reason is that I want to go run. For two weeks I have had intentions of running in the morning, and I accomplished my task for the first time yesterday morning. I laced up my Asics, plugged in my Nike+ sensor and hit the road. I didn't run very far, just a little under 2 miles.

But it all hit me when I got home. I felt it; all of the aching joints, the usually dormant muscles. Not only did I feel the pain, but my wife noticed my heavy breathing so much that she decided to ask (with a small hint of "are you serious?" in her voice), "Are you okay?" That's when I made the decision:

I am going to get back in shape.

And I don't mean "in shape" very lightly. I want to be in marathon shape. No, make that IRON MAN shape. Okay, well maybe not that intense, but I at least want to run without having someone question my health because of my breathing patterns.

So here is my declaration to all of the two people reading this- I am going to take part in at least a half marathon within a year's time. Hopefully more, but let's start low.

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" - 1 Timothy 4:8

Looks like I have more work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment